The door may not be the major interior and mostly goes unnoticed. However, a beautiful door can make a big difference as well as give a dramatic effect to the house interior. Most people buy or rent a house with the doors already installed, that is why most of us do not give it more serious thought.
Even though the door is only a small detail to the interior but it has a vital part for the house. That is why you should also invest a good door when building, remodelling, or simply just looking for a change to the room. Here are some interior door design ideas that you can choose for your home.
The first step in choosing interior doors is picking the right style. The door style will determine the feel of the interior and create a big difference in your house. You need to pay close attention to the scale of the room. A massive and ornate door may look heavy for the tiny room and makes it appear smaller. You can also mix two elements such as fun and artistic look, but make sure to keep some elements which go with the entire house. This is to create a good flow with the rest of the interior in the house.
In general, you can choose between the left-hand or right-hand door, swing in or swing out the door when customizing door. The door swing factor is important to determine where the handles and hinges are as well as where the door swings when it closes and opens.
Ideally for bedroom, the door swings into the room while in the main spaces, the door will swing in. Also, a door should never open into a corridor or hall because it will block the way.
Doors are made of various materials, but you can choose the one that should match the aesthetic of the house. This is because a door can become a determining factor for the house. Here are some major materials for interior door.
- Solid wood – Solid wood doors are made of various types of woods which sets the door’s price differences. There are various types of woods such as hard and softwood which is suitable for different types of room.
- MDF – Stands for most interior doors, this is the door which is made of medium-density fibreboard. This type of door is also called engineered product, so it is will not warp like wood and very stable.
- Hollow-core – This type of doors are usually made of moulded composites skin or plywood. It tends to be less expensive because the inside part of the door is hollow. This means that temperature and sound can easily pass through the door.
- Solid core – The solid core door is made from the same material as the hollow core door. The only difference is it filled with fibre wood blend. So, this door has better temperature control and sound deadening but still less expensive than the solid wood door.
- Metal and glass – The metal and glass doors are more used in today’s design because it creates the streamline illusion and modern look for the house. This type of door is slightly expensive than the wood combination door but still less expensive than a solid wood door.
Incorrectly framing door can detract the value of the expensive and beautiful door. Picking the cheap framing construction and materials can often lead to damage on the door which will cost more in the future.
Doors are available in pre-hung or as slabs. The former door comes mounted in a frame complete with the hinges attached to the doorjamb. Meanwhile, the latter door comes only with the door itself and you need to install the door frame and hinges.
Choose the colour
The door colour is also an important factor to consider. It is important to choose a door colour which fit the decoration. You can choose a neutral shade for neutral for a safe option. You can also choose a bold colour that contrasts with the wall and decoration because you want the door to appear as a focal point. If you use the solid wood door, you can simply leave the colour as the natural wood for rustic look design.
There is actually no limitation of door styles and types. In some cases, people start to adopt the exterior door such as barn door into the house because of the unique feel. Here are some popular door types that you can choose.
- Sliding doors – This door is usually made of wood, glass or lined with mirrors. The sliding door is usually used for a closet door as it takes minimal space than the swing door.
- pocket door – the pocket door is mostly used in most houses because it takes minimal space. Different from the sliding door, the pocket door actually slides into the wall.
- Folding door – This type of door is usually used in the bi-fold form and mostly used in small spaces such as laundry room, pantry, and such.
- flush door – Flush door is more contemporary. It is a kind of smooth and simple door which generally made of MDF or plywood.
- Barn door – The barn door are usually used of the exterior door but more people like to install it for an interior door because it gives a rustic or industrial look.
- Panel door – this type of door is the most commonly used door in houses today. It is designed with a classic pattern and usually made of MDF or wood.
- French door – The French door is usually filled with glass or foggy transparent material. This door is suitable if you want to maximize the light in a room.
- Dutch door – This door is divided half horizontally which allows the upper side to open and the lower side stays closed.
Blind door – Blind door has no visible handle, trim, or hinges. This door is simply designed as a hidden door which completely blends with the wall.