Generally the task of an electrical engineer is to design high voltage equipment such as wiring systems, lighting systems and generators. Within the construction industry the role of an electrical engineer is to survey the site and manage the design and construction of electrical systems so that they comply with the necessary codes.
An electrical engineer has many responsibilities on a construction site. These responsibilities include designing, testing, installing and maintaining large-scale electrical systems that transmit and generate power. When designing projects, electrical engineers typically need the skills to work with computer models in order to have a better idea of what they should design. In addition, electrical engineers may be responsible for calculating the costs of projects and scheduling delivery dates for supplies. Finally, at the end of a project, the electrical engineer is responsible for making sure that all codes are met. This requires thorough knowledge of building codes, and the electrical engineer may be required to teach others how to detect building construction issues.
Usually an electrical engineer facilitates as part of a team and provides technical advice within his or her area of expertise. An electrical engineer may work for a particular company, or may hold an in-house position where he or she is available for consulting on whatever issues may arise during construction.
Projects are to supervise the electricians in handling all the electrical works considering the safety and quality requirements. The electrical engineers in the construction site also reads and studies the electrical plans (usually done by electrical design engineers) and implements it in the site and sometimes do necessary actions whether to correct or to improve the design. They coordinate with other electrical engineers in the implementation of the electrical system design and also with other engineers of different fields, such as civil and mechanical engineers, to make the construction job easier.
Typical Building construction projects where electrical Engineer needs
- Base building
Brand new building, out of the ground
- Infrastructure upgrade
Infrastructure upgrade to existing building for new tenant or owner use
- Fit‐out (interiors)
Design or redesign of existing space in an existing building for a new tenant, or a tenant wanting to redesign their office layout
- Data center (mission critical)
Design of power systems for servers/it racks/HVAC
- Back‐up power
Providing back‐up power for a building or tenant, such as a generator or ups (uninterruptable power supply), to protect in the case of a power outage
- Due diligence
Conditions assessment on existing buildings
Typical Electrical Engineering jobs in construction
- Design engineering
Designing the buildings/spaces/systems
- Construction management
Work for a construction firm managing construction sites, coordinating with manufacturers, making sure contractors are building properly and maintaining the schedule, etc.
- Owner’s representative
Manage all aspects of the project for the owner, making sure all team members are doing their jobs (engineers, architects, construction manager, etc.)
- Commissioning agent
Testing of all equipment and systems upon completion of construction
- Investigation/forensics engineering
Investigating existing buildings after a failure to determine fault, reason for failure, corrective measures, as well as litigation expert witnessing
General Duties and Responsibilities of an Electrical Engineer In Construction Industry.
He has to see the basic design engineering of the project
- Detail engineering with safety factor in the design
- Basic & detail engineering for provision of earthling pits of electrical installation.
- Design for illumination of different area and lux calculation.
- Cable size calculation cable scheduling &its route selection ,over head or underground
- Proper protection system for all electrical installation.
- Design for fire alarm &detection system &so many more which i am not writing here
- Generally responsible for implementations and monitoring of all electrical related works at site.
- Estimates, prepares and assigns the resources such as manpower, materials, consumables, equipment, tools, etc., required for all electrical and related works prior to execution.
- Plans and analyses all possible construction methodologies and recommends the best options to the Asst. Project Manager for approval prior to execution at site.
- Interprets construction drawings and studies the contract documents and applicable standards or specifications prior to execution of any jobs.
- Manages directly and provide engineering and technical supports to all the electrical work groups at site.
- Plans the execution of all electrical related works and coordinates the works to mechanical and civil groups.
- Coordinates with Client / Consultant’s representatives for any site instructions and inspection of works.
- Assign targets for accomplishments and ensure targets are met on daily basis for all electrical groups at site.
- Submits site daily reports, inspection requests, estimates and all applicable monitoring reports on regular basis or as required.
- Supports the Project Manager in accomplishing all the goals and targets for the electrical groups at site.
- Ensures that all the works done are in accordance with the approved construction drawings, contract documents, project specifications, and all applicable standards whether local, national or international standards.
- Ensures that all site works are done according to all applicable quality standards.
- Directly responsible for the safety of all electrical groups’ personnel of the project by ensuring that the project execution will be done according to all applicable health, safety, sanitary and environmental standards.
- Performs other related duties as may be required by the Project Manager.
- To co-ordinate with Electrical Contractor for Electrification, Execution, Erection & Commissioning.
- To provide the entire electrical solutions as per requirement.
- Handling of electrical load as per requirement.
- ·Cable size calculation cables scheduling &its route selection, over head or underground.
- Review Inspection and Test Plans in order to perform all required inspections and witnessing all required tests and add witness and hold points for the Client’s Inspection.
- Review inspection reports and records of Quality Control carried out on completed and running Project activities.
- Review Client’s Inspectors deliverables, analyze and resolve issues and problems emerging during the Quality Control activities. Ensure that all inspection and tests witnessed by clients
- Drawing submission and get Approval from consultants
- Site issues highlighting and send to consultant
- Site Additional work Preparation and send the Quotation
- Check and Plan the EOT Date & schedule of the Project
- Every two week once attend the site technical coordination meeting
- Monthly once attend the site safety coordination meeting
- Detail engineering with safety factor in the design
- Updating the Drawing depends on site condition
- Mock up unit Preparation and execution
- Checking the Workmanship and material Quality as per approved make and standard work for the Right quality and standard work
- Daily & Weekly work Progress Report Preparation and Keep the Record
- Preparing the Monthly work Progress Report for Claim with MeasurementsMonthly LEW Tools inspection check list Preparation and checkin
- Preparation of Project Report for correct and Timely information for the Progress of work
- Responsible to do surveys including site measurements
- Responsible for Highlighting foreseen Problem & Delays in advance Escalating to the Project Manager.
- Client communication and correspondence.
- Quality Assurance
- Coordination with workers
- Manpower Controlling and solve the Problem
- Updating of material stock
- Weekly Material Requirement to be send by email to office
- Final Documentation & Billing Works
- Ensure power supply available. Save energy by disconnecting unwanted loads.
- Ensure all electrical machines should be earthed, because in construction mostly related with steel structures, if any
- leakage from machine then persons will get shock.
- If work is going on outside protect machine by coveringthat from rain fall.
- Make awareness to all people how to switch off power in
- case of any electrical accident